WHAT IS PERMACULTURE?
"The conscious design and maintenance of agriculturally productive systems which have the diversity, stability, and resilience of natural ecosystems."
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted and thoughtful observation rather than protracted and thoughtless labor; and of looking at plants and animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single product system."
— Bill Mollison
Our Key Principles
- We avoid all tilling on our farm to help keep the soil as healthy as possible.
- Healthy soil with good structure = healthy plants and an ecosystem that works together to control any pests.
No Pesticides or Herbicides
- Since we let our farm run like an ecosystem, we have minimal pest problems. For any major problems that may arise, we will introduce beneficial insects such as ladybugs to assist us.
- We also built our beds in a way that limits weed seed germination initially and have very few issues with weeds. By not tilling the soil and adding mulch each spring, we are also limiting weeds.
- By following Permaculture design methods, we have been able to enhance the soil on our land, reduce erosion (we grow on a hillside), and increase production substantially.
- Stay tuned for many new blog posts that include details on our designs that could work for you too!
About the Farmers
After completing her degree in Environmental Science, Jackie worked for years to find the best use for her skills and knowledge. After researching different sustainable methods of agriculture, she decided that Permaculture fit with all of her values and goals. She completed a Permaculture Design Course in 2021 and began on the journey of converting our land to a sustainable farm. She is also practicing herbalist.
Matt has been working with wood for 15 years and loves nothing more than picking the perfect piece(s) of wood and then bring out the best in that wood. From the time he bought a duct tape wallet for a friend and then started making his own duct tape wallets in many colors and styles with his neighbor in high school, he has always loved bringing his creative (at times, too creative...) visions to life and sharing them with others.
The farm dog and professional digger of holes. Also enjoys sunbathing and hikes.